On April 13th, 2017, we were live on Facebook with our nursing essentials video! In this blog post you will find a re-cap of the products we showcased!
Here we go!
When it comes to breastfeeding you might think that you really don’t need much right? Just you and your baby? Well, it certainly CAN be done with just you and your baby, but you will find that there are a few things that are essential to nursing and some other things that are really nice to have!
Whether you’re a breastfeeding pro or a first timer, having the right gear at your fingertips is the key to making the experience successful and enjoyable for both you and your baby.
If you’re still working on your baby registry, it would be smart to add these must-haves to your list so you can hit the ground running when you get home from the hospital.
And if you’re already knee-deep in nursing your little one, there may be a few things here you’ve never seen before that give you an “ah-ha!” moment!
- The Naked Nursing Tank allows you the freedom of nursing without yanking up all of your layers – it keeps you covered and WARM! With no shelf, you can be assured that you will fit in the bust area and are free to wear whatever bra you feel like! Nice and long for layering, there are four colour options.
2. Cake Maternity <-- Check out our selection of Cake here!
- Bringing out the most important things very early on – Cake Maternity has done something so wonderful. They are beyond comfortable and do NOT look like nursing bras! Seriously! They spent careful attention to detail and have a bra for (we feel) everyone, from great supported, non-wire bras, to super soft sleep bras. They also have a wide range of sizes, which is super important with the ebb and flow sort of growing of the breasts.
- This tea is very popular here in store, and will help with production of milk.
- Organic Milkmaid Tea is a fragrant, comforting and delicious blend of organic herbs traditionally used while breastfeeding to help support healthy breast milk production. Tasty iced or hot, formulated with fenugreek, fennel, milk thistle and other galactagogue herbs historically used by nursing mothers to promote healthy lactation. All Earth Mama teas are naturally caffeine free in easy to brew tea bags.
- NOTE: This tea is only recommended for after baby is born - should not be consumed during pregnancy!
- We have two excellent brands that offer nursing pads, Applecheeks and Bummis! They help soak up the leaks (because they happen, and wet spots can be super embarrassing!) and are breathable and so gentle on the skin. They fit very well into any bra or tank, and wash very well. Having reusable pads is (we think) so much better than disposable, and they often got softer with wear!
- Applecheeks make theirs with bamboo and you can even get them with the backs of the pads in the shade 'Jem'
- Bummis come wtih a resuable mini travel wet bag for easy storage when you're on the go!
- Two outstanding brands both have nipple butters that are 100% safe for baby to nurse off. Zero taste and no weird residue! These formulas are actually made of different base ingredients, so depending on preference or perhaps allergy, you can pick!
- Did you know, the nipple butter can also be used for chapped lips or cheeks? It’s supposed to help dry, cracked nipples – so you bet it’d be nice on other dry, cracked areas of skin!
- Some mothers really enjoy nursing covers when they are out and about and need to feed the nursling! Covers provide that extra bit of privacy while still allowing the beauty of breastfeeding to happen, and all are breathable. We have several options in store, some of which also double as a fashionable scarf! Gotta love the multi-function aspect!
- The link above will connect you to our Udder Covers!
7. Water Bottles for mom
- It is so important for mom to stay hydrated while breastfeeding, thats why we decided to add the water bottle to our list even thought it isn't techinically an essential
- Since you'll be nursing with only one free hand, it's much easier to use a glass straw water bottle. It will be a life-saver!
- There are lots of options to choose from, here in store we carry Life Factory bottles, just like baby bottles, but made in the 22oz size with either the straw option, or the flip cap!
8. Baby bottle for transitioning - Como Tomo
- When you are ready to transition your baby from nipple to bottle, choosing the right bottle might seem daunting. You may have to try a few before settling on one that works for your baby. Colic and bottle refusal are just two of the struggles faced by parents of infants; causing frustration, fear and confusion for all. Comotomo nursing and feeding bottles were created with these struggles in mind. Mimicking the mound shape and nipple feel of a mother's breast, Comotomo baby bottles have relieved many struggling parents around the world, by easing their baby into the transition to bottle feeding. The innovative wide-mound design and anti-colic vents help to create, "the best bottle for newborns!"
9. Breastmilk Storage - Avent Milk Bags
- Philips AVENT breast milk storage bags provide safe and secure storage for your precious breast milk. They can be stored in the fridge or freezer and are pre-sterilized for immediate use.
- Includes 25 milk bags
- Cookies are always a good idea, so lactation cookies that help increase your milk production are an even better idea if you're a breastfeeding mom! Boons cookies are made withall-natural ingedients and packed with rich vitmains, minerals and antioxidants that nursing moms need. These cookies are both delicious and powerful!
- We carry two yummy flavours, Cocoa Quinoa & Oatmeal Raisin!
That's it for our list! Feel free to comment any other suggestions you might want to add!
P.S. We will be starting up a Breastfeeding Support Group here in store! Dr. Kathryn Urquhart will be visiting the store once a week for support! The sessions will begin on Tuesday, May 9th, 2017, from 10am to 11am! Keep in mind the first session will be tentative, but we hope to have the group up and running every Tuesday morning! Open to everyone!
Thanks so much for listening!
The FBB Team